Qty 60 count trays of fully rooted Ornamental Peanut Grass or Arachis Glabrata ground cover.
A relative of the edible peanut, this plant blankets the earth with flat-as-a-pancake foliage topped with tiny yellow flowers that appear on and off all year.
The dense foliage of mature plants will crowd out most weeds. Of all ground covers, this one probably takes the least care...and still looks fabulous. This plant is durable, tenacious and long-lived.
It can work not only as a complete lawn replacement but also in hard to mow areas like a small strip of lawn by a driveway. These groundcover plants thrive on easements or surround tall palms or upright trees.
They can help prevent soil erosion on an embankment (place along the top so the plants grow downhill).
As a deep border for a garden bed, perennial peanut creates a formal look, and it can also fill in around landscape boulders.
perennial peanut growing among rocks It's not necessary to do so but you can mow this plant once it's mature. Set the mower blade for 3 or 4 inches, low enough to just nip the tops of plants and encourage new growth and more flowers.
Infrequent foot traffic isn't a problem, but for higher foot traffic areas, add stepping stones or a pathway.
Features & Highlights
- Perennial peanut has recently shown promise as an ornamental groundcover due to its high resistance to drought, nematodes, and pathogens and its minimal fertilizer needs. This translates into savings in water, energy, dollars, and reduced impacts to the environment. It is not only beneficial to the environment since it requires no supplemental nitrogen or phosphorus fertilization or pest control, but it also is aesthetically pleasing, can be walked on, and has edible, peanut flavored flowers.
- Used as a forage legume for grazing, as a high-value hay crop, and has been planted as a cover crop in citrus. Several cultivars are available for use in home landscapes. Rhizome perennial peanut has several potential advantages in the managed landscape. As its name implies, perennial peanut is long-lived and doesn't require replanting once established.
- May suppress weed growth, reduce nutrient leaching, and add nitrogen and organic matter to the soil. On the other hand, all cover crops have the potential to compete with trees for water and nitrogen.
- Ornamental Peanut is an attractive, low-maintenance groundcover, that blooms bright yellow flowers from spring to first frost. This drought-tolerant, hardy perennial requires no supplemental water after it is established. It is in the peanut family, thus it makes its own nitrogen. This eliminates the need of nitrogen fertilizers. It has no known pests or disease which makes it an excellent ground cover of choice!
- Search: Florida Foliage To View Our Full Collection
|Item Weight:||14.99 pounds|
|Package Weight:||14.99 pounds|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Florida Foliage, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
By Japanese Boxwood
60 count trays of fully rooted 2" Japanese Boxwood (Buxus) shrubs. Nice, bright green oval shaped leaves that are somewhat larger than the hybrid boxwoods most commonly seen in landscapes. Also a slightly lighter shade of green than most boxwoods. Ma...
By Pixies Gardens
THUJA GREEN GIANT, Nature's Privacy Fence, Green, Tall and Beautiful Hedge-liner - - (liner/starter plant in 3" pot 1-2 yrs old)* - Evergreen tree ( great Christmas tree) - deer resitant - drought tolerant - makes a wonderful hedge, - makes ...
By Garden Goods Direct
Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree FormFiddle Leaf Fig is total eye candy! This fiddle leaf fig is lush, tall, columnar and sculptural and it’s the ‘it’ plant right now. This tough plant adapts easily to conditions and once acclimated it can grow to 6 feet o...